Carer’s Allowance is a weekly payment of £64.60 to assists carers with looking after someone with substantial caring needs.
You do not have to be related to, or live with the person that you care for to be eligible for Carer’s Allowance, however you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit (see below)
- You look after that person for at least 35 hours a week
- You are aged 16 or over
- You are not in full-time education
- You are not studying for 21 hours a week or more
- You earn no more than £116 a week, after tax and some expenses, which will be assessed when you apply
- You are not subject to immigration control
- You have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
- You normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
- In order to claim Carer’s Allowance, the person you care for must claim:
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – daily living component
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – the middle or highest care rate
- Attendance Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
When you claim Carer’s Allowance your other benefits may be reduced. Your total benefit payments will usually either go up or stay the same.
If you are applying for Carer’s Allowance and you already receive Working Tax or Child Tax Credit, you must contact the Tax Credits Office – (http://www.gov.uk/contact/hm-revenue-customs/tax-credits-enquiries) to let them know about your claim.
Please note that if you are awarded Carer’s Allowance, the person you care for will STOP getting the following:
- A severe disability premium paid with their benefits
- An extra amount for severe disability paid with Pension Credit
- Reduced Council Tax
If you would like to find out more about Carer's Allowance, please contact the Centre on (0191) 643 2298.
Click here to apply for Carer's Allowance
If someone depends on you, you can depend on us.