Visit our Young Carers website here.
Who is a Young Carer?
Young carers are children and young people aged 5-18 years, who help to look after somebody in their family because they have a disability, illness, mental health difficulty or misuse drugs or alcohol. They may help to look after their mam, dad, brother or sister or another person in their family.
Most children and young people help out at home with things like washing dishes, but young carers have to do more than that. They may help with laundry, cleaning, shopping, looking after brothers and sisters, or making people feel better when they’re having a bad day.
Some young carers want to carry on caring because they want to help their family. They also want the chance to be with friends, do well at school, and go out with their families, but don’t always get the opportunities that their friends do.
You aren’t alone…..
Our young carers project can offer you whatever it is you feel you need to make being a carer easier.
- Listen to you and understand how you feel
- Help your family get the support they may need so you don't have to help out as much
- Speak to someone at school, with your permissioon, so they can understand what your family life is like and offer you support
- Help you to explain to your family how you feel about being a carer, and try to make changes you would like
- Find places to go, including clubs and activities, so you can have fun and spend time with friends
If you would like more information on our support for Young Carers, please contact the Young Carers Project team on (0191) 643 2298 or click here.
Maybe you are a young carer who is struggling to care for family members or an adult who is worried about how a young carer may be affected by caring?
Watch this inspirational video about Brogan, who shares her story of what it is like to care for siblings, and offer support to other family members. Find out how North Tyneside Carers' Centre helped Brogan to understand her role and the importance of having some time for herself.
If someone depends on you, you can depend on us.