Call Us Now: (0191) 643 2298

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment is tax free benefit, paid monthly, to assist the person you care for with extra costs to their 'daily living' caused by long-term ill-health or a disability. In some circumstances carers may also be eligible for PIP, if you have your own health needs.


PIP is made up of two components; Daily Living and Mobility.

You may get the Daily Living component of PIP if you need help with things like:

You may get the mobility component of PIP if you need help going out or moving around.

In order to claim PIP, you must undergo an assessment. This assessment will be carried out by an independent healthcare professional and will consider how your condition affects you. The assessment will determine how much support you are entitled to, and you will be regularly reassessed to make sure you are getting the right support.

To claim PIP you must:

PIP is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA), so those receiving DLA will be asked whether they want to claim PIP at stagered points by 2017. DLA won’t be affected for children under 16 or people who were 65 or over on 8 April 2013.

If you would like to find out more about Personal Inependence Payment, please contact the Centre on (0191) 643 2298. 

Click here to apply for Personal Independence Payment.


   If someone depends on you, you can depend on us.